Saturday, May 16, 2009

Salty Goodness

I ordered myself a vegan cookbook from the States, and it arrived on friday! I read a lot of cookbooks, mainly from the library. Even though I rarely cook the recipes on the books, I find reading them very inspiring. Often you get ideas from the books that can be variated as you like. Now I have my first own vegan book, Veganomicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. I have given it only a quick look, but seems nice! Though it lacks photos it is a good package full of information.

We ate some feta-cheese (tomato, salad, honey melon, fetacheese, yellow paprika, onion) salad and cheese-croissants today. This recipe is good for the croissants, I like that it's not too greasy. Using spelt flour gives a nice taste on them. I added some turmenic, which gave them a fun yellowish color. For the filling you could use some blue cheese, or as I did now, Grana Padana etc. I prefer quite sour cheeses on these, like Emmental and Polar. You needn't add any salt, since the cheeses use to be quite salty.

Cheese-croissants


Ingredients:
4 ½ dl of flour (3 dl of spelt flour + 1 ½ dl of wheat flour)
4 dl of grated cheese + 2 dl for the filling
3 tsp of salt
2 sp of cumin seeds (2 tsp of turmenic)
100 g of room-temperature margarine
1 ½ dl of soy milk / water
Mix the dry ingredients. Add in the butter until the batter becomes crumbly. Add liquid and knead into a firm dough. Heat the oven in 200 degrees.
Share the dough in 3 portions. Roll the portions to a round shape, and divide in eight sections, like a pizza. Now sprinkle some cheese on each part and roll them from the wide end to a tight croissant. Apply some soy milk on the croissants before putting to the oven. Bake for 13-15 minutes.

1 comment:

Suvi said...

Linkitä ihmeessä! Laitan sun blogin mun listaan. ;D