Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Sweet tangy tooth

IN ACTION! Our kitty is one of a kind, wild one. She likes to crawl under the tablecloth.. especially when you're drinking tea, ready to spill everything.
I am so full! I didn't really eat any real food today, and made myself a banana-blackcurrant-kiwi-smoothie for dinner. And...made this. Today I knew I had to bake something sweet, and I found a recipe for this from "Frantsilan yrttitilan kasviskeittokirja"-book. Although the recipe was for making pastries, I instead turned it into a pie. And the jam is made by myself. I think you can use any jam, something like apples and cinnamon, or any berries.. but self-made is best. We had some really tangy mandarines, so this is how made their hard core sweeten a bit and put them to use! No waste.

Oat-black currant&mandarinejam pie



I'm feeling pity for this pie since it looks so burned :,) And I can tell you, this pie tasted like a vegan pie, I don't is it just my baking but usually it tastes. But I just love it.
Ingredients:
3 dl of oat flakes
3 dl flour
2 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp of vanille sugar
3 tbsp of jaggery (or sugar, or honey if you prefer)
250 gr of melted butter
2 dl of soy milk (or cream as in the book)

2 dl of jam, blackcurrant-mandarine or any you like/have!
To make the jam, put in a kettle some blackcurrants and peeled mandarines with sugar to your taste. Boil in a low heat covered for some time. When the berries seem broken enough and the texture is satisfying you, pour in a glass can or some other.. ;)

Heat the oven in 200 degrees. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, and whisk in the cooled butter and soy milk. Pour the batter in a greased (or as I did, oiled) cake tin (about 24x24 cm) and spoon on the jam evenly. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes. Perfect with vanilla ice cream (or custard)!!


No comments: